Health Savings Checking Accounts
You have the right to choose where to open your HSA. So choose the best one around! It's right here at CCU.
A Health Savings Account is an interest-bearing, tax advantaged account that offers individuals and families the opportunity to save and pay for qualified medical expenses.
CCU offers a Health Savings Checking Account that provides several advantages:
- Earn a higher rate of interest than is available from other financial institutions in the area
- No minimum balance
- As little as $10 to open
- Use your free VISA debit card or checks to make payments
- Make deposits with real-time online transfers from your other CCU accounts
- Track your medical expenses with FinanceWorks, a free member service
- Included in your CCU account statements
Adults age 18 and over can contribute to a Health Savings Account if they:
- Have coverage under an HSA-qualified high deductible health plan (HDHP)
- Have no other first-dollar medical coverage (other type of insurance like specific injury insurance or accident, disability, dental care, vision care, or long-term care insurance are permitted).
- Are not enrolled in Medicare.
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.
Contributions to your CCU Health Savings Checking Account can be made to you, your employer, or both. Contributions can be made for the previous tax year until April 15th or the tax deadline.There are some rules and restrictions for HSA accounts, such as:
- Contributions are subject to annual limits.
- Contributions to the account must stop once you are enrolled in Medicare. However, you can keep the money in your account and use it pay for medical expenses tax-free.
- You are responsible for understanding and managing your contributions and distributions from the account. Your financial institution is not responsible for advising you regarding compliance with government regulations for HSA accounts.
Your employer, tax advisor, or financial consultant can advise you regarding your eligibility, annual contribution limits, and other details regarding HSA Accounts. You can also read more about Health Savings Accounts on the U.S. Department of the Treasury web site.
Call a CCU Member Service Representative at 321.690.2328 (outside Brevard, 1.800.690.2338) to open your account over the phone. Or, you may visit any CCU Branch.
- CCU is not able to determine if you are eligible to open an HSA. Please check with your employer or health insurance provider before contacting CCU.
- Your employer can NOT require you to select a particular financial institution for your HSA. You are free to open your account wherever you choose. You can transfer the HSA you have at another financial institution to CCU. Just call us